Tuesday 27 August 2013

J'accuse...

I started my month-long intensive Russian course yesterday morning.  On Sunday night I had the following conversation with my Husband, who speaks the language fluently.  (Of course.  Ruddy annoying, I can tell you.)  Anyway...

Me:  "The thing I'm really worried about is the cases (fyi, there are 6 of them in Russian, including Accusative, Dative, Genetive and Nominative), because that's what did for me last time when I tried to learn it.  I always hated them, even when I was 14 and trying to learn German at school."

Husband:  "I think you might be overestimating how much you're going to learn on this course.  It's only 4 weeks - you won't even reach that level of difficulty.  Don't worry about it."

Me:  "That's the best news I've had all week."

I arrived at the language centre yesterday morning to find that after my pre-course assessment test, I had been dropped into an existing beginners class - 3 weeks in.

And the very first word that the teacher wrote on the white board?

'Akusativ'

Marvellous.



5 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I'm trying to think of an easy way for it all to stick. We used to learn it in the order -
    Nominative, Vocative, Accusative, Genetive, Dative, Ablativ. (sp?) I could go on and tell you how I remember them but I'll just confuse you more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mhm. Not to add any confusion but we used to learn it in the order Nominative, Genitive, Dative, Accusative, Ablative. The French throw in the Subjunctive for good measure. Which isn't really a case, if you ask me. Just don't tell the French. xx

    PS: In German you have certain trigger question words that go with the cases. (wer, wessen, wem, wen), which makes it easier to remember. Do they exist in Russian?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't they worked out that you just don't need cases? I mean, we don't have cases, and we manage perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EPM, thing is, because I joined the course 3 weeks in, I missed Nominative, and since Monday have now touched on Accusative, Locative, and Genetive. Heeeeelp meeeeee..... (I'm joking. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Not quite as bad, anyway).

    MM - yes, you are adding to the confusion. Subjunctive? Can't wait.

    Iota, you would think they might have by now, wouldn't you? But no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every sympathy to you. I can actually close my eyes right now and see all those charts in the appendices of my university textbooks. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...